Our Extra-small Dubia Roaches range in size from Minis to ¼-inch. These are small roaches for small animals. People commonly feed Extra-smalls to hatchling insectivores, small reptiles, arachnids, amphibians, fish, birds, and more. Because they come in a size range, they are an economical choice.
- Roaches are ¼-inch and under
- Commonly fed to hatchlings and other small insectivores
- Size ranges have price advantage over exact sizes
- Clean, quiet, odorless, and super-nutritious compared to other feeder insects
- Available in regular and organic
Our Extra-small Dubia roaches are ¼-inch and under. They include Minis, which are our smallest Dubia feeders, and ¼-inches, which is the next size up from Mini. People usually feed these to hatchlings and other small insectivores that can handle a mix of sizes.
This size range is both the advantage and trade-off of size combinations like Extra-small. They are less expensive than exact sizes because they take less time to process. On the other hand, size variability means they aren’t appropriate for every situation. They work well for animals that can manage all the roaches in the range and for people with multiple animals to feed.
Whether or not a size range will work depends on your situation. If so, these Dubia tend to be the best value in terms of roaches per dollar. We also have other size ranges in addition to Extra-small. These include Small, Medium, Large, and Extra-large.
Minis and ¼-inchers are popular sizes for small insectivores. Minis are often fed to hatchling chameleons, geckos, anoles, arachnids, and beardies. ¼-inch is a good size for many small bearded dragons, chameleons, tarantulas and arachnids, pixie frogs, fish, birds, and other similarly sized animals.
The difference between Minis and ¼-inchers is subtle, but it can matter when feeding tiny animals. If you’re unsure which size is right for you, you can always try several different sizes with a Dubia roach size sampler.
Item specific sizing notes
- We include roaches throughout the size range in each order.
- Roach size may vary according to hydration and feeding status. We ship all our roaches plump and fully fed, but they may become dehydrated and hungry while in transit. Extra-smalls contain some of our smallest roaches. The smaller they are, the fewer nutritional reserves they have. And they’re also the most vulnerable to extreme temperatures and dehydration.
- When Dubia roaches become dehydrated, they look smaller and flatter than they are. Be sure to feed them when they arrive — especially if they look flat. You can also set them in a dark, warm, quiet spot to relax and recover from shipping.
General sizing notes & more information
For more information about how we measure our Dubia roaches, including advice about choosing the right size feeder insects for your animals, see our guide about sizing Dubia roaches.
These are the same Dubia we sell in exact sizes. They are available in both standard and organic. Whether nutritionally or in their care & keeping, Dubia roaches are superior feeders. If you’re unfamiliar with them and want to learn more, we have lots of guidance available, including information about the benefits and advantages of feeding Dubia roaches.