½-inch Dubia roaches are tasty, nutrient-dense primary feeders. They are a good size for many captive reptiles, amphibians, arachnids, fish, birds, and more. These include small to medium chameleons, geckos, bearded dragons, frogs, and fish. They are suitable for a wide range of animals, which makes them one of our most popular sizes.
- Roaches are approximately a half inch in length
- Commonly fed to small to medium insectivores
- Sorted and selected for size by hand
- Clean, quiet, odorless, and super-nutritious compared to other feeder insects
- Available in regular and organic
½-inch Dubia roaches are only six to eight weeks old, but in this time, they’ve increased their weight tenfold. While impressive, they’re still a long way from maturity. A half-inch is far from their final adult size. All this has important implications for their role as feeders.
First, they are soft-bodied. A soft body means easier digestion compared to larger roaches and other feeder insects. Better digestibility means more nutrition for the animals that eat them. People often report that their animals eat fewer Dubia roaches than other feeder insects. We’ve had this experience too. More nutrition per ounce may cause animals to become full faster because they get the nutrients they need sooner.
Second, ½-inch Dubia roaches are great for gut loading. They eat a lot relative to their body size. And because they’re fast-growing, they self-select for certain nutrients. Healthy nutrients. The nutrients prey animals need. You can offer these Dubia roaches whole foods, and they will pass that nutrition to your animal(s) when eaten.
Gutloadability is one reason why Dubia roaches are particularly good for fast-growing insectivores. They provide a lot of easily accessible nutrition, and animals tend to love eating them. And their big appetite for healthy foods makes gut loading easy and more beneficial. What could be better than a nutritious primary feeder with a big appetite for the nutrients prey animals need to grow healthy and strong?
Having said all this, we understand if these details are tedious and you only care about getting the best feeders possible. No problem! We worry about these things so that you don’t have to! Just choose the right size Dubia for your animal(s), and you’re all set.
Item specific sizing notes
- ½-inch is one of our most popular sizes because it’s a good size for many animals. These include small bearded dragons, small to medium chameleons, small tarantulas and pixie frogs, and many others.
- We select these for size, but some variation is normal. Their size will vary by hydration and feeding status, which can change due to transit time and conditions
- You can increase or decrease their size by adjusting their food and water intake.
- To help them recover from the stress of shipping, we recommend feeding your Dubia roaches when they arrive.
- Place the roaches in a dark, warm place unless you plan on feeding them off right away. Providing moisture-rich foods will help plump them up before feeding.
- Store your Dubia feeders at room temperature to maintain their size or above 80°F if you want them to grow.
General sizing notes & more information
For more information about our Dubia roach measuring process and approach, including advice about choosing the right size for your animal(s), see our guide about sizing Dubia roaches.
We have roaches available in both standard and organic.
Dubia roaches are superior feeders in many respects, including nutritionally and in their care & keeping. If you want to learn more, we have lots of guidance available, including information about the benefits and advantages of feeding Dubia roaches to your animal(s).