½-inch Dubia roaches are tasty, nutrient-dense primary feeders. They are a good fit for many of the most commonly kept reptiles, amphibians, arachnids, fish, birds, and more. These include small to medium chameleons, geckos, bearded dragons, frogs and fish. Their suitability to such a large range of animals makes them one of our most popular items.
- Roaches are ½-inch
- Commonly fed to small to medium insectivores
- Sorted and selected for size by hand
- Clean, quiet, odorless, and super-nutritious compared to other feeder insects
- Available in regular and organic
In-depth information about ½-inch Dubia Roaches
½-inch Dubia roaches are only a month to six weeks old, but in this time they’ve increased their weight tenfold. While impressive, they’re still a long way from maturity. A half-inch is far from their final adult size, and this has important implications for their role as feeders.
The first is that they’re soft-bodied. This means they’re easier to digest than larger roaches and many other feeder insects. Better digestibility means more nutrition per ounce, and this has actual benefits in the real world. People often report that animals eat fewer Dubia roaches than other feeder insects. This has also been our experience. More nutrition per ounce may cause animals to become full faster, so they eat fewer roaches.
And better nutrient availability has major benefits for insectivores. This is especially true for young and old animals, as well as those experiencing stress – whether from illness or captivity in general.
Second, ½-inch Dubia roaches are great for gut-loading because they’re fast-growing, and they self-select for certain nutrients. You can offer them healthy whole foods, which they eat with gusto, and then they will pass that nutrition along to the animals that prey on them.
This is why ½-inch Dubia roach nymphs are particularly good for fast-growing insectivores. They provide lots of easily accessible nutrition, and animals tend to love eating them. This also makes gut loading easier and more beneficial. What better scenario for gut loading than a nutritious primary feeder with a big appetite for the nutrients your animals need to grow healthy and strong? Half-inch Dubia roaches have this and more. They’re a win-win for your animals!
Having said all this, we understand if you want to forget the details and just get the best feeders for your animals. No problem! We worry about these things so you don’t have to! Just select the right size Dubia for your animals and you’re good to go!
Item specific sizing notes
- ½-inch is one of the most popular Dubia sizes. They are a good fit for many animals like small bearded dragons, small to medium chameleons, small tarantulas and pixie frogs, and many others.
- We select these for size, but some fluctuation is normal. Their size will vary by hydration and feeding status, which change based on transit time and conditions
- You can increase or decrease their size by adjusting their food and water intake.
- We recommend feeding Dubia roaches when they arrive. This helps them recover from the stresses of shipping.
- Place the roaches in a dark, warm place unless you plan on feeding them off right away. This, along with some food and water, will plump them up before feeding.
- Store your Dubia feeders at room temperature to maintain their size, or above 80°F to promote growth.
General sizing notes & more information
For more information about our Dubia roach measuring process and approach, including advice about choosing the right size for your animals, see our guide about sizing Dubia roaches.
We have roaches available in both standard and organic. Whether nutritionally or in their care & keeping, Dubia roaches are superior feeders. If you’re unfamiliar with them and want to learn more, we have lots of guidance available, including information about the benefits and advantages of feeding Dubia roaches.