½-inch Dubia roaches are tasty, nutrient-dense primary feeders. They are a good fit for many captive reptiles, amphibians, arachnids, fish, birds, and more. These include small to medium chameleons, geckos, bearded dragons, frogs and fish. They are suitable for a wide range of animals, which makes them one of our most popular sizes.
- Roaches are ½-inch
- Commonly fed to small to medium insectivores
- Sorted and selected for size by hand
- Clean, quiet, odorless, and super-nutritious compared to other feeder insects
- Available in regular and organic
In-depth information about ½-inch Dubia Roaches
½-inch Dubia roaches are only six weeks old or so, but in this time they’ve increased their weight tenfold. While impressive, they’re still a long way from maturity. A half-inch is far from their final adult size. All this has important implications for their role as feeders.
First is that they’re soft-bodied. This means they’re easier to digest than larger roaches and many other feeder insects. Better digestibility means more nutrition goes to the animals that eat them. People often report that animals eat fewer Dubia roaches than other feeder insects. This has also been our experience. More nutrition per ounce may cause animals to become full faster, and animals may eat fewer Dubia roaches because they have the nutrition they need sooner.
Second, ½-inch Dubia roaches are great for gut-loading. They eat a lot relative to their body size. And because they’re fast-growing, they self-select for certain nutrients. Healthy nutrients. The nutrients prey animals need. You can offer these Dubia roaches whole foods and they will pass that nutrition along to your animals when eaten.
This is why Dubia roaches are particularly good for fast-growing insectivores. They provide a lot of easily accessible nutrition, and animals tend to love eating them. This also makes gut loading easier and more beneficial. What could be better than a nutritious primary feeder with a big appetite for the nutrients prey animals need to grow healthy and strong? Half-inch Dubia roaches have this and more. They’re a win-win for your animals!
Having said all this, we understand if you want to forget the details and just get the best feeders for your animals. No problem! We worry about these things so you don’t have to! Just select the right size Dubia for your animals and you’re good to go.
Item specific sizing notes
- ½-inch is one of the most popular Dubia sizes. They are a good fit for many animals like small bearded dragons, small to medium chameleons, small tarantulas and pixie frogs, and many others.
- We select these for size, but some fluctuation is normal. Size will vary by hydration and feeding status, which can change due to transit time and conditions
- You can increase or decrease their size by adjusting their food and water intake.
- We recommend feeding Dubia roaches when they arrive. This aids recovery from shipping stress.
- Place the roaches in a dark, warm place unless you plan on feeding them off right away. Along with some food and water, this will plump them up before feeding.
- Store your Dubia feeders at room temperature to maintain their size, or above 80°F for growth.
General sizing notes & more information
For more information about our Dubia roach measuring process and approach, including advice about choosing the right size for your animals, see our guide about sizing Dubia roaches.
We have roaches available in both standard and organic. Whether nutritionally or in their care & keeping, Dubia roaches are superior feeders. If you’re unfamiliar with them and want to learn more, we have lots of guidance available, including information about the benefits and advantages of feeding Dubia roaches.