Mini Dubia roaches are ¼-inch and under. They are typically fed to hatchling insectivores like geckos, bearded dragons, chameleons, as well as very small animals like some anoles, geckos, chameleons, frogs, spiders, and more.
- Roaches are ¼-inch and under — our smallest size
- Commonly fed to hatchlings and other small insectivores
- Sorted and selected for size by hand
- Clean, quiet, odorless, and super-nutritious compared to other feeder insects
- Available in regular and organic
In-depth information about Mini Dubia Roaches
Mini Dubia roaches are tiny, but they pack a huge nutritional punch! Though small, these diminutive feeders contain big nutrition for your animals.
Minis are the youngest and smallest of our Dubia roach nymphs. They tend to be about a week old or less, and their size is between approximately ⅛ and ¼-inch. Their nutrition is comparable to their older, larger peers. In fact, ounce for ounce, they may be even more nutritious.
This is because to double their size in the coming days and weeks, Minis have a paper-thin, flexible exoskeleton. This outer shell contains chitin, which is fibrous and indigestible. The larger the insect, the thicker and more rigid their shell becomes. The younger the roach, the thinner the shell, and the more nutrition it provides – ounce for ounce.
Also, Dubia roaches are born with large nutritional reserves to carry them through any food scarcity they encounter early in life. This survival strategy benefits the roaches, but it’s also a big a plus for the young insectivores that eat them. They too are growing, and all growing animals have greater nutritional needs.
Young animals also tend to have more tender digestive systems than older ones. Delicate digestive systems appreciate the easy digestibility of Mini Dubia roaches.
Minis are our smallest Dubia roaches. We know size matters a lot when feeding very small animals, so we hand-select our minis to get you the smallest roaches possible. The size difference between Minis and ¼-inchers can be subtle because Dubia grow so fast. When we select Minis for shipment, we choose the smallest roaches possible.
To sum it up: Mini Dubia are our smallest roaches. They are high in protein and other nutrients growing insectivores need. They have a soft, flexible exoskeleton, which means better digestion and more nutrition, ounce for ounce.
Item specific sizing notes
- Mini Dubia roaches generally range between ⅛ inch and ¼ inch. They grow very fast so their size may vary.
- Minis are larger than small crickets in the pinhead to ⅛ inch range. By weight, the smallest among them are around half the size of our quarter-inch Dubia roach nymphs. They also tend to be flatter, though this may depend on feeding status.
- If you’re unsure what size roach will work best for your animal, you can start with a small test order. Or you can try a Mini + quarter-inch Dubia roach size sampler.
- If you find that Minis are either too big or too small, you can modify them. To increase (or decrease) their size by double (or half), offer them plenty of healthy foods (or withhold food and water) for a few days or a week. Heat will speed their growth while cold will delay it.
- We ship our Mini Dubia roaches fully fed. This means they may shrink during shipping, depending on transit time. When this happens, you can restore their full size by providing food when they arrive. We suggest apples, bananas, carrots, or similar moisture rich fruits or vegetables for the quickest recovery.
- Smaller roaches tend to dehydrate faster than larger ones, so keep this in mind when deciding whether they need food or water.
- Because they’re so small, Minis will grow substantially over the course of a week or two if you provide proper conditions and unrestricted feeding. If you don’t want them to grow, keep them around 60°F to 70°F and provide moisture-rich, low calorie foods sparingly.
General sizing notes & more information
For more information about our Dubia roach measuring process and approach, including advice about choosing the right size for your animals, see our guide about sizing Dubia roaches.
We have roaches available in both standard and organic. Whether nutritionally or in their care & keeping, Dubia roaches are superior feeders. If you’re unfamiliar with them and want to learn more, we have lots of guidance available, including information about the benefits and advantages of feeding Dubia roaches.