¼-inch Dubia roaches are excellent feeders for small reptiles, amphibians, arachnids, fish, birds, and more. People typically feed these to hatchlings and a wide range of small insectivores, including chameleons, bearded dragons, anoles, geckos, spiders, fish, and frogs.
- Roaches are approximately a quarter inch in length
- Common size for hatchlings and small insectivores
- Sorted and selected for size by hand
- Clean, quiet, odorless, and super-nutritious compared to other feeder insects
- Available in regular and organic
¼-inch Dubia roaches make excellent primary feeders for small animals and many of the most popular baby insectivores. If an animal can manage ¼-inch crickets, they’re usually ready for ¼-inch Dubia roaches.
All Dubia roaches are high in protein, but especially young nymph feeders. This is partly because small Dubia roaches in early growth stages spend most of their time eating. In our colonies, they eat our specialized roach chow, which we designed to meet their nutritional needs and fuel their rapid growth.
Fast growth requires flexibility, so ¼-inch Dubia roach shells are thin and easy to digest. This tenderness benefits most animals, particularly young ones with delicate digestive systems. Less chitin also means more protein per ounce.
Dubia roaches are superior feeders for many reasons. They are the most gut-loadable insect, have more vitamins & minerals, and are easier to keep and maintain.
These things benefit all captive animals, especially young, growing insectivores. Dubia roaches are high in protein and other beneficial nutrients, and young animals need more nutrients than older ones — especially in captivity.
So what’s the bottom line? Quarter-inch Dubia roaches are super nutritious feeders. They tend to have more nutrition per ounce than other insects, and the younger they are, the more they have. In our experience, growing insectivores do very well with this size.
Item specific sizing notes
- Because they’re so small, their size depends greatly on hydration and feeding status. Provide food and water to increase their size; withhold food and water to decrease it. A fully-fed Dubia roach with an elongated abdomen can be twice as long as one that has not eaten in a few days.
- We ship our roaches fully fed. How much they shrink during shipping depends on temperature and transit time.
- To restore their full size fast, offer your roaches fresh fruits, vegetables, water, or other similar moisture-rich foods when they arrive.
- Young Dubia roaches grow fast. If you want your roaches to grow, provide ideal conditions and unlimited food.
General sizing notes & more information
For more information about our Dubia roach measuring process and approach, including advice about choosing the right size for your animal(s), see our guide about sizing Dubia roaches.
We have roaches available in both standard and organic.
Dubia roaches are superior feeders — nutritionally and in their ease of care and keeping. You can learn more about Dubia roaches in our guidance section, including information about the benefits and advantages of feeding Dubia roaches to your animal(s).