¼-inch Dubia roaches are exceptional feeders for small reptiles, amphibians, arachnids, fish, birds, and much more. They are typically fed to hatchlings and a wide range of small insectivores, including chameleons, bearded dragons, anoles, geckos, spiders, fish, and frogs.
- Roaches are ¼-inch
- Commonly fed to hatchlings and small insectivores
- Sorted and selected for size by hand
- Clean, quiet, odorless, and super-nutritious compared to other feeder insects
- Available in regular and organic
In-depth information about ¼-inch Dubia Roaches
¼-inch Dubia roaches are a common starter size for many of the most popular baby insectivores. As soon as animals can manage ¼-inch crickets, they’re usually ready for ¼-inch Dubia roaches.
All Dubia roaches are high in protein, but this is especially true of young nymphs. This is in part because small Dubia roaches in early growth stages spend most of their time eating. In our colonies, this means our highly-specialized roach chow, which we designed to meet their nutritional needs and fuel their rapid growth.
Fast growth requires flexibility, so ¼-inch Dubia roach shells are thin and easy to digest. This is good for most animals, but it’s particularly beneficial for young ones with tender digestive systems. Less chitin also means more protein per ounce.
Dubia roaches are superior feeders for many reasons. They’re the most gut-loadable insect. They have more vitamins & minerals. They’re easier to keep and maintain. While this may sound familiar (because we’ve said it all before), there is one group that may benefit even more from Dubia roach feeders.
This group is young, growing animals. Dubia roaches are high in protein and other beneficial nutrients. Young animals need more nutrition than older ones — particularly in captivity.
So what’s the bottom line? Quarter-inch Dubia roaches are super nutritious feeders. They tend to have more nourishment per ounce than other insects, and the younger they are, the more they have. In our experience, growing insectivores do very well on ¼-inch Dubia roaches.
Item specific sizing notes
- ¼-inch Dubia Roaches are about ¼ inch in length. Some may be a bit larger, others smaller. Most fall in the middle.
- Because they’re so small, their size depends a lot on hydration and feeding status. As with Minis, you can increase or decrease the size of ¼-inch nymphs with food and water. Feed or water your roaches to increase their size. Withhold these things to decrease it. All things equal, a fully-fed Dubia roach with an elongated abdomen can be twice as long as a hungry one.
- We ship all Dubia roaches fully fed. How much they shrink during shipping depends on temperature and transit time.
- To restore their full size fast, offer the roaches fresh fruits, vegetables, water, or other similar foods when they arrive.
- Young Dubia roaches grow very fast. If you want your roaches to grow, provide ideal conditions and unlimited food for a week or two.
General sizing notes & more information
For more information about our Dubia roach measuring process and approach, including advice about choosing the right size for your animals, see our guide about sizing Dubia roaches.
We have roaches available in both standard and organic.
Dubia roaches are superior feeders in many respects. This includes nutritionally and in their care & keeping. If you want to learn more, we have lots of guidance available, including information about the benefits and advantages of feeding Dubia roaches to your animals.