Our Small Dubia Roaches range between ¼-inch and ½-inch. These are commonly fed to small bearded dragons, chameleons, tarantulas, frogs, fish, birds, and other similarly sized insectivores. Size ranges like Small tend to offer more Dubia roaches per dollar than exact lengths.
- Roaches are ¼-inch to ½-inch
- Commonly fed to small insectivores
- Size ranges have price advantage over exact sizes
- Clean, quiet, odorless, and super-nutritious compared to other feeder insects
- Available in regular and organic
Our Smalls are between ¼-inch and ½-inch. We also have other size ranges listed below. If both ¼-inch and ½-inch roaches will work for you, Smalls are the best value. If you think this is the about the size you need but prefer more exact sizing, see our ¼-inch Dubia Roaches and our ½-inch Dubia Roaches.
¼-inch and ½-inch are among our most popular sizes. ¼-inch Dubia are common starter roaches for many of the most popular baby insectivores. As soon as an animal can handle ¼-inch crickets, it’s usually ready for ¼-inch Dubia roaches. ½-inchers work well for small to medium bearded dragons and chameleons, small tarantulas and pixie frogs, various fish and birds, and more.
If your animal can safely manage all insects in this range, Smalls may be a good choice. Size assortments offer more value for the dollar because they take less time to process.
Item specific sizing notes
- We include roaches in the entire size range whenever possible.
- To prevent waste, your animal should be able to eat the largest roach in the size range without struggle. In this case, that’s ½-inch. Too small is usually OK — animals will often still eat them — and you can grow them out if you like. However, too big is usually not OK.
- Small Dubia roaches are more susceptible to hunger and dehydration than larger ones. Their size varies by hydration and feeding status. We ship roaches fully fed, but they may become dehydrated in transit. Consider feeding them as soon as they arrive, especially if they look flat. The small ones plump up quickly.
- If you like, place the roaches in a dark, warm place when they arrive. Doing this will help them recover from the stress of travel. And you can use this time to thicken them up for feeding!
General sizing notes & more information
For more information about our Dubia roach measuring process and approach, including advice about choosing the right size for your animals, see our guide about sizing Dubia roaches.
Of course, these are the same Dubia as those we sell in exact sizes, and they’re available in both standard and organic. Whether nutritionally or in their care & keeping, Dubia roaches are superior feeders. If you’re unfamiliar with them and want to learn more, we have lots of guidance available, including information about the benefits and advantages of feeding Dubia roaches.